Venado Caves Tour from San José Highlights
01Explore the Venado Caves, filled with local wildlife and underground rivers
02See the stunning Arenal Volcano while you enjoy an authentic and homemade Costa Rican lunch
03See ancient marine fossils embedded into the walls of the caves
04Experience a tour that you're sure not to forget
Why we chose this tourOur Venado Caves Tour From San José puts you in the capable, and bilingual, hands of an expert local guide that will take you safely through this unique underground experience. You'll see a whole new side of Costa Rica, both above and below the ground, and taste authentic "Costarricense" food. After trawling through underground caves and admiring the local fauna and fossils, come back up for air to see the vistas of Arenal park with its stunning active volcanoes. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Our Venado Caves Tour is currently unfortunately not available. Please contact us for private tour options.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
Venado Caves Tour from San José Itinerary
5:00 - 5:45 - Pickup from San José, Heredia and Alajuela
- We will pick you up from centralized Hotels in San José, Heredia, and Alajuela.
- We will stop in San Ramon for a delicious and traditional Costa Rican breakfast buffet that's been cooked over wood collected from local forests, giving you time to take a breath and relax before heading out for you day of adventure.
7:15 Guided tour of Venado Caves
- After a safety orientation where you'll be dressed in everything you need to keep your adventure from becoming a misadventure, it's time to start exploring!
- You'll crawl and climb through the 10 different rooms of the caves, which reach up to 35 meters in height and are interconnected by narrow tunnels, crossing underground rivers and admiring marine fossils, spiders, and bats.
- The geology of this cave is unique, and sure to fill you with wonder as you traverse this underground mystery.
- Any rooms that you're unable to explore with your guide are reserved for conservation and formation mapping by local mountaineers.
- Once you've changed back into clean clothes after your underground fun, you'll head to La Fortuna de San Carlos, a quaint local town that's know as the Gate to Arenal.
- Eat a delicious and traditional Costa Rican lunch while gazing over the stunning panorama of the Arenal Volcano, and see if you can catch a glimpse of the lava!
17:00 - 17:45 - Drop off in San José, Heredia and Alajuela
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Venado Caves Tour from San José are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Venado Caves Tour from San José, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from San José, Heredia and Alajuela
Local bilingual Guide
Breakfast and Lunch
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Closed or hiking shoes
The minimum age required for the tours is 12 years
Related Tours and Experiences
Arenal Hanging Bridges, La Fortuna Waterfall and Chocolate Tasting Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 10 hour tour From $219 Per Person
Peñas Blancas River Safari and La Fortuna Waterfall Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 7 hour tour From $149 Per Person
Horseback Riding in Arenal from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 3 hour tour From $65 Per Person
La Fortuna Waterfall and Arenal Volcano Hiking Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 6 hour tour From $175 Per Person
Arenal Hanging Bridges and Chocolate Tasting Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 7 hour tour From $175 Per Person
Balsa River White Water Rafting from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 5 hour tour From $110 Per Person
Arenal Hanging Bridges Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 3.5 hour tour From $89 Per Person
Arenal Volcano Hiking Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 3 hour tour From $79 Per Person
Hanging Bridges, La Fortuna Waterfall and Arenal Volcano Hiking Tour from La Fortuna & ArenalCosta Rica | 9.5 hour tour From $219 Per Person
Sloth Experience and Hot Springs at Arenal Volcano from San JoséCosta Rica | 12 hour tour From $206 Per Person