The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Highlights
01Experience the wonder and beauty of Raufarhólshellir with a guided tour of its colorful landscape
02Discover the spectacular ice sculptures that form in this tunnel every winter
03See if you can spot some of the local wildlife in Faxaflói Bay
04Learn more about the whales that call this part of the world home
Why we chose this tourOur tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik is a unique experience that combines two very different and wildly popular activities in the area for a day filled with awe and wonder. With an expert guide, you'll learn more about the geology and wildlife of this unique region and discover why it's often named one of the most beautiful countries in the world. This tour is available every Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Itinerary
8:30 AM - Pickup from Reykjavik
- Meet your local guide at the BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
- Optional hotel pick ups are available for an extra charge
Guided tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching
- Leave the bus terminal and the city behind when you journey to Raufarhólshellir, one of the world's most famous and longest lava tunnels set in a spectacular and scenic landscape just outside of the city.
- These underground tunnels that branch out from a large cave are over 1,360 meters long, and about 30 meters wide with plenty of space arching above you as you travel through these natural wonders unlike anything you've ever seen before.
- As you trek through the main tunnel, marveling at the vibrant displays on the walls and ceiling above you, don't forget to look down smaller tunnels that branch off for a glimpse at some still-glowing lava.
- After this incredible experience, get out in the sunlight and onto the water at the Old Harbor where you'll head out with an expert guide to learn about the behavior of this harbor's favorite residents, and see if you can catch a glimpse of some!
- A few of the most common species include Minke whales, White-Beaked dolphins, and harbor porpoises, but you may get lucky and spot a Blue Whale, an Orca, or even a Fin whale.
- After your enchanting afternoon on the water, you'll head back into the city center for drop-off.
4:00 PM - Drop off in Reykjavik
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
Fully guided tour
Flashlight & helmet
Whale Watching tour
Lunch and drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Related Tours and Experiences
Reykjavik Elves & Trolls Walking TourIceland | 1.5 hour tour From $40 Per Person
Insider Reykjavik City TourIceland | 2 hour tour From $49 Per Person
Reykjavik Beer Tasting TourIceland | 2.5 hour tour From $99 Per Person
Reykjavik Food Walking TourIceland | 2.5 hour tour From $125 Per Person
New Year’s Eve Bonfire Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 3 hour tour From $85 Per Person
Golden Circle & Horse Riding from ReykjavikIceland | 10 hour tour From $189 Per Person
South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from ReykjavikIceland | 14 hour tour From $259 Per Person
Blue Lagoon & Northern Lights Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 8 hour tour From $229 Per Person
Golden Circle and Secret Lagoon Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 10 hour tour From $105 Per Person
Golden Circle Small Group Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 8 hour tour From $89 Per Person