The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Highlights
1Experience the wonder and beauty of Raufarhólshellir with a guided tour of its colorful landscape
2Discover the spectacular ice sculptures that form in this tunnel every winter
3See if you can spot some of the local wildlife in Faxaflói Bay
4Learn more about the whales that call this part of the world home
Why we chose this tourOur tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik is a singular experience that combines two very different and wildly popular activities in the are for aday filled with awe and wonder. With an expert guide, you'll learn more about the geology and wildlife of this unique region and discover why it's often named one of the most beautiful countries in the world. This tour is available every Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Itinerary
8:30 AM - Pickup from Reykjavik
- Meet your local guide at the BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
- Optional hotel pick ups are available for an extra charge
Guided tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching
- Leave the bus terminal and the city behind when you journey to Raufarhólshellir, one of the world's most famous and longest lava tunnels set in a spectacular and scenic landscape just outside of the city.
- These underground tunnels that branch out from a large cave are over 1,360 meters long, and about 30 meters wide with plenty of space arching above you as you travel through these natural wonders unlike anything you've ever seen before.
- As you trek through the main tunnel, marveling at the vibrant displays on the walls and ceiling above you, don't forget to look down smaller tunnels that branch off for a glimpse at some still-glowing lava.
- After this incredible experience, get out in the sunlight and onto the water at the Old Harbor where you'll head out with an expert guide to learn about the behavior of this harbor's favorite residents, and see if you can catch a glimpse of some!
- A few of the most common species include Minke whales, White-Beaked dolphins, and harbor porpoises, but you may get lucky and spot a Blue Whale, an Orca, or even a Fin whale.
- After your enchanting afternoon on the water, you'll head back into the city center for drop-off.
4:00 PM - Drop off in Reykjavik
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Availability and Pricing
Transportation to and from BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
Fully guided tour
Flashlight & helmet
Whale Watching tour
Lunch and drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring