The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Highlights
01Experience the wonder and beauty of Raufarhólshellir with a guided tour of its colorful landscape
02Discover the spectacular ice sculptures that form in this tunnel every winter
03See if you can spot some of the local wildlife in Faxaflói Bay
04Learn more about the whales that call this part of the world home
Why we chose this tourOur tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik is a unique experience that combines two very different and wildly popular activities in the area for a day filled with awe and wonder. With an expert guide, you'll learn more about the geology and wildlife of this unique region and discover why it's often named one of the most beautiful countries in the world. This tour is available every Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- Hand-Crafted Insider Experiences
- Awesome Customer Service
- Best Price Guaranteed
- Easy Cancelation
The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik Itinerary
8:30 AM - Pickup from Reykjavik
- Meet your local guide at the BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
- Optional hotel pick ups are available for an extra charge
Guided tour of The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching
- Leave the bus terminal and the city behind when you journey to Raufarhólshellir, one of the world's most famous and longest lava tunnels set in a spectacular and scenic landscape just outside of the city.
- These underground tunnels that branch out from a large cave are over 1,360 meters long, and about 30 meters wide with plenty of space arching above you as you travel through these natural wonders unlike anything you've ever seen before.
- As you trek through the main tunnel, marveling at the vibrant displays on the walls and ceiling above you, don't forget to look down smaller tunnels that branch off for a glimpse at some still-glowing lava.
- After this incredible experience, get out in the sunlight and onto the water at the Old Harbor where you'll head out with an expert guide to learn about the behavior of this harbor's favorite residents, and see if you can catch a glimpse of some!
- A few of the most common species include Minke whales, White-Beaked dolphins, and harbor porpoises, but you may get lucky and spot a Blue Whale, an Orca, or even a Fin whale.
- After your enchanting afternoon on the water, you'll head back into the city center for drop-off.
4:00 PM - Drop off in Reykjavik
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from Reykjavik, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
Fully guided tour
Flashlight & helmet
Whale Watching tour
Lunch and drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Related Tours and Experiences
Golden Circle Stopover 3 Day Tour PackageIceland | 3 days package From $192 Per Person
A Whirlwind around Iceland Tour Package – 4 DaysIceland | 4 days package From $412 Per Person
5 Day Golden Circle, Jökulsárlón & Blue Lagoon Tour PackageIceland | 5 days package From $625 Per Person
7 Day Reykjavik & Southern Iceland Tour PackageIceland | 7 days package From $955 Per Person
Journey through the Secrets of Iceland – 8 Day Tour PackageIceland | 8 days package From $1,265 Per Person
Reykjavik, Iceland, and Northern Lights 5 Day Tour PackageIceland | 5 days package From $649 Per Person
Reykjavik Elves & Trolls Walking TourIceland | 2 hours tour From $40 Per Person
Insider Reykjavik City TourIceland | 2 hours tour From $49 Per Person
Reykjavik Beer Tasting TourIceland | 3 hours tour From $85 Per Person
Reykjavik Food Walking TourIceland | 3 hours tour From $125 Per Person