St. Peter’s Dome Climb, Basilica & Vatacombs Tour Highlights
1Combine two tours in one with the history and views of Rome
2Explore the papal crypts and underground vatacombs
3Learn about the city's history and religious background with an expert guide
4Enjoy a fast pass ticket to St Peter's Basilica
Why we chose this tourOur St. Peter's Dome Climb, Basilica & Vatacombs Tour is a deep dive into the history, religion, art, and hidden secrets that surround this storied basilica and the square itself. Go from high above the city and it's stunning views to plunge deep underground and discover the best of what Rome has to offer from your expert guide. This tour is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
St. Peter’s Dome Climb, Basilica & Vatacombs Tour Itinerary
8:00 - Pickup from Rome
- You will be picked up from a centralized location in Rome. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time.
Guided Tour of St Peter Dome, Basilica & the Vatacombs
- Meet your guide, an expert on Vatican history and art, in the center of St Peter's Square and stroll across the gleaming marble pavement to the steps that wind their way up and around the dome of the basilica.
- While there are 551 steps that lead to the peak, you'll be taking an elevator part of the way to make for smoother sailing and stop along the way to enjoy views of the Tyrrhenian Sea, rolling Castelli Romani hills, and the outskirts of Rome stretching into the wilderness.
- Once you've reached the very top, your guide will point out the best of the historical landmarks that cover the city, from Vatican City to the Roman Forum.
- Few get to see these uninterrupted views, so take advantage and be sure to snap plenty of photos while you have the chance!
- Make your way back to the bottom for a quick break to rest before you head into the depths of the Basilica itself to explore this internationally renowned marvel of architecture and art.
- Admire the works of Bernini and Michelangelo before plunging into the depths below to explore the underground tombs of past popes and the alleged necropolis of St Peter himself.
- When the tour ends, you're in the center of the city, perfect for more exploring on your own!
10:00 - Drop off at Rome
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on St. Peter’s Dome Climb, Basilica & Vatacombs Tour are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our St. Peter’s Dome Climb, Basilica & Vatacombs Tour, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Availability and Pricing
St. Peter Dome Climb & Tour with an expert guide
Fast track tickets
Lunch & drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Some religious holidays at the Vatican mean certain areas will be closed; refunds will not be issued for closures.
All visitors must pass through Vatican security which can take up to 30 minutes.
Please dress modestly, covering your shoulders and knees; refunds will not be given is entry is refused to inappropriate dress. Weapons and sharp objects are not allowed.