South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from Reykjavik Highlights
01Take an exhilarating jeep ride through the epic sights and vibrant landscape on your way to Skogafoss
02Explore the natural beauty of Iceland, marveling at the strange splendor of Hafursey and Hjorleifshodi that seem to appear from nowhere
03Marvel at the raw power of Skogafoss, and take a walk behind its sister falls of Seljalandsfoss
04Adventure in the natural ice caves near Katla, an active volcano, and spend some free time in the country's southernmost seaside village
Why we chose this tourOur South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from Reykjavik shows you some of Iceland's most unique and wondrous natural features, from glacial ice caves to towering mountains that rise from the black volcanic ashes below. You'll learn more about this region's unique geology and past on a thrilling jeep tour, and see a traditional village for yourself with time to explore independently. This tour is available every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- Small Group Size
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from Reykjavik Itinerary
7:00 AM - Pickup from Reykjavik
- Meet your local guide at the BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Center
- Optional hotel pick ups are available for an extra charge
Guided tour of South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave
- After you've left the city behind, you'll hop into a jeep for an exciting and scenic ride to the Skógafoss Waterfall, located on the Skógá River and marking the former seaside coastline, with an astonishing size: the fall is 25 meters wide and 60 tall, and one of the country's most powerful waterfalls.
- Continue to Vík, passing the craggy hills of Hafursey, a verdant mountain surrounded by a blackened lunar landscape, and Hjorleifshofdi, an inselberg(an isolated rock ridge or hill in an otherwise flat area) rising dramatically from the volcanic sands below.
- Once you've reached Iceland's southernmost village, you'll head out on an ice cave tour near Katla, Iceland's most eruptive volcano, and located in the Kötlujökull glacier.
- The caves themselves sparkle with black and blue ice, formed from glacial waters melting and creating ethereal and breathtaking formations within the cave and trapping volcanic ash in its walls for a truly remarkable experience.
- Return to Vík for some free time, where you can explore the village's ancient church, try some traditional local dishes at one of the village's charming restaurants, or take a walk along Iceland's most famous black sand beach at Reynisfjara, but be careful of the strong surf!
- On the way back to the city, you'll stop at Seljalandsfoss, a waterfall with a natural cave hidden behind it that will let you walk around the raging waters yourself, and end your day of adventure back in beautiful Reyjavik.
10:00 PM - Drop off in Reykjavik
- You will be dropped off at the BSÍ Bus Terminal.
NB - all timings on South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from Reykjavik are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our South Coast & Katla Natural Ice Cave from Reykjavik, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from BSÍ Bus Terminal - City Centre
Fully guided tour
Jeep tour from Vik to the Katla Ice Cave
All necessary safety gear (helmet, headlamp, and crampons)
Lunch and drinks
Hotel pick up
More pick up locations are available for an extra charge
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Free time without guidance in the Village of Vík Between 3:30-7:00 pm
Related Tours and Experiences
Reykjavik Elves & Trolls Walking TourIceland | 1.5 hour tour From $40 Per Person
Insider Reykjavik City TourIceland | 2 hour tour From $49 Per Person
Reykjavik Beer Tasting TourIceland | 2.5 hour tour From $99 Per Person
Reykjavik Food Walking TourIceland | 2.5 hour tour From $125 Per Person
New Year’s Eve Bonfire Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 3 hour tour From $85 Per Person
Golden Circle & Horse Riding from ReykjavikIceland | 10 hour tour From $165 Per Person
The Lava Tunnel & Whale Watching from ReykjavikIceland | 7 hour tour From $199 Per Person
Blue Lagoon & Northern Lights Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 8 hour tour From $175 Per Person
Golden Circle and Secret Lagoon Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 10 hour tour From $105 Per Person
Golden Circle Small Group Tour from ReykjavikIceland | 8 hour tour From $89 Per Person