São Jorge Island Private Tour from Velas, São Jorge Highlights
01Savor an intimate experience during your São Jorge private tour
02See the Urzelina Church and learn about the 1808 eruption
03Visit a cheese factory and coffee plantation for tastings
04Explore the untouched beauty of this incredible area
Why we chose this tourOur São Jorge Island Private Tour from Velas, São Jorge lets you visit the stunning hidden treasures scattered across its wild landscape and taste the cheese and coffee that this island is famous for. Learn about past volcanic eruptions, swim in the salty water of one of the Azores most beautiful natural pools, and marvel at uninterrupted views of the area around you. This tour is available every day.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
- Small Group Size
São Jorge Island Private Tour from Velas, São Jorge Itinerary
9:00 - Pickup from Velas, São Jorge Island
- You will be picked up from a centralized location in Velas
Guided Tour of São Jorge Island
- Take a scenic ferry ride to Velas or start your tour in the city. Hop into a van and tour the rugged landscape of São Jorge on your way to a local cheese factory for a guided tour and tasting.
- This is one of the areas most famous factories that produces the amazing Azores cheese, made from raw milk of grass-fed cows and aged anywhere from 3 months to an entire year!
- Full of facts and snacks, continue to the southern coast to visit the Urzelina Church and learn about how the major eruption of 1808 miraculously spared this parish church from the fiery lava flow.
- Drive across the island to visit one of the famous fajãs, a natural platform formed by a lava flow or landslide, on your way to a commercial coffee plantation on Fajã dos Vimes.
- Walk through the fields where the beans are grown before you head inside for a tasting of Europe's only coffee plantation.
- Move to the northern coast for incredible views over the sweeping northern cliffs from Fajã dos Cubres, as well as the Fajã da Caldeira de Santo Cristo, both formed in 1757 by a landslide from the strongest earthquake that ever happened in the Azores.
- Head to the last stop of the day, Fajã do Ouvidor, where you can take a dip in the gorgeous natural pools of Poça do Simão Dias before you return to Velas. From here you can stay in Velas or hop on the the ferry and ride back to your departure point.
17:00 - Drop off at Velas, São Jorge Island
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on São Jorge Island Private Tour from Velas, São Jorge are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our São Jorge Island Private Tour from Velas, São Jorge, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Velas
Fully guided tour
Light meal (sandwich, fruit, typical dessert, cereal bar, juice and water)
Entrance and tasting in the cheese factory
Tasting of the local coffee
Meals & drinks not mentioned
Ferry rides to São Jorge
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Comfortable clothes, sweater & raincoat
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Swimming suit & towel
Water & snacks
The minimum age for the your required is 8 years old
Please let us know if you have any food restrictions
Related Tours and Experiences
Douro Valley Wine Tasting Tour from PortoPortugal | 10 hour tour From $109 Per Person
Insider Lisbon City TourPortugal | 4 hour tour From $39 Per Person
Insider Porto City TourPortugal | 8 hour tour From $99 Per Person
Douro Valley, Wine Tasting and Panoramic Cruise on the Pinhão from PortoPortugal | 9 hour tour From $109 Per Person
Sintra Half Day Tour from LisbonPortugal | 4 hour tour From $69 Per Person
Sintra, Pena Palace, Cascais & Estoril Day Tour from LisbonPortugal | 9 hour tour From $89 Per Person
Lisbon Fado Experience and DinnerPortugal | 3.5 hour tour From $95 Per Person
Évora Wine Tasting Tour from LisbonPortugal | 10 hour tour From $89 Per Person
Fátima Tour from LisbonPortugal | 11 hour tour From $80 Per Person
Countryside & Vineyard Tour in the AlgarvePortugal | 8 hour tour From $50 Per Person