Salto do Prego – Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta Delgada Highlights
1Discover the local flora, fauna, and geology along your hike
2Swim in the waters beneath the amazing Salto do Prego waterfall
3Stroll the abandoned streets of the village of Sanguinho
4Admire the beauty of the parish of Faial da Terra
Why we chose this tourOur Salto do Prego - Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta Delgada is limited to only 8 people, making this day-long trek to one of the area's most famous waterfalls and abandoned villages a more intimate and interactive experience. Along with your hike and swim beneath the falls, you can also add swimming on another part of the island, soaking in thermal hot springs, or free time to explore the island to your tour. This tour is available every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Small Group Size
Salto do Prego – Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta Delgada Itinerary
9:00 - Pickup from Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura and Ribeira Grande.
- You will be picked up from your hotel in the Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura and Ribeira Grande.
Guided Hiking Tour of Salto do Prego & Sanguinho
- Start the day by meeting your guide in the storied parish of Faial da Terra, famous for the incredible untouched nature it showcases and the picturesque traditional churches that line its many villages.
- Trek along the meandering banks of a rushing river while you marvel at the dense orchards, scenic wooden bridges, verdant forests, and historic homes that line the trail along your way to the highlight of the day: the Salto do Prego.
- Admire the falls foaming in the pools below, and take a swim in the crystalline waters after your morning of hiking and adventures.
- Make your way back to the start point, crossing through the village of Sanguinho, which was abandoned after an economic downturn in the 1950's.
- If you're lucky, you'll see a few of the produce boxes local farmers leave out for hungry hikers, where you pay for your fresh fruits with a donation.
- Stop at the breathtaking viewpoint of Pico dos Bodes that sweeps over the lush and tumbling landscape below, and choose your next adventure.
- You can choose to dive in the refreshing waters of Povoação or Ribeira Quente, soak in the thermal baths at Furnas, or take the rest of the time to explore on your own before you're taken back to your original meeting point.
17:00 - Drop off at Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura and Ribeira Grande
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Salto do Prego – Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta Delgada are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Salto do Prego – Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta Delgada, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Availability and Pricing
Transportation to and from your hotel
Fully guided tour with a local expert
Photos / Videos
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Comfortable clothes and shoes (in addition to being light, they should be able to protect you from the wind and rain)
Small backpack (to transport your belongings and the lunch we provide)
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Bathing suit (already dressed) & towel
The minimum age required is 8 years old
Difficulty level: Medium
The tour requires a minimum of 2 people, if the minimum is not reached, the tour will be rescheduled