1Enjoy the natural beauty of the impressive Celeste River Waterfall
2Visit 3 of the Tenorio Volcanic Craters
3See the Blue Lagoon and Teñideros, from where the river takes its rich blue color in a unique phenomena
4Spot the diverse flora and fauna of the tropical rainforest
5Gentle hike in Tenorio Volcano National Park
Why we chose this tourIn a country that is renowned worldwide for its relaxation destinations, the Rio Celeste (Celeste River) is arguably one of the most serene of them all. Spend the day exploring the lush waterfall, teñideros, and iconic Blue Lagoon with our Rio Celeste Adventure Tour from San José. As you walk along the trail, admire the lush flora, fauna, and endangered species that call the region home. You'll be captivated by the surreal color of the water, the result of a chemical reaction to the rich minerals washed inside from the nearby Tenorio volcano. Only in Costa Rica is an active volcano so tranquil!
Our Rio Celeste Adventure Tour from San José is available every day, and provides you with the ultimate experience discovering one of nature’s phenomenons. The Celeste River (Rio Celeste) is one of the most relaxing destinations in all of Costa Rica, and the mineral-rich water will take your breath away with its unique hue. The trip will take you on a 3-kilometer journey, passing the trail’s main attractions, while keeping an eye out for endangered species like the Danta, Tepezcuintle, and puma.
You’ll observe three of Tenorio’s five craters, including Montezuma, from the trail’s highest point. Then visit the iconic Blue Lagoon before reaching the Teñideros to learn about the curious anomaly that gives the river it’s surreal aqua color. Finish the day with a visit to the fumaroles, to truly appreciate the remarkable experience of being so close to an active volcano.
The Rio Celeste Adventure Tour starts and ends in San José with guaranteed departures.
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Itinerary - Rio Celeste Adventure Tour from San José
6:00-7:00 - Pickup from San Jose
- Collection from 5 centralized hotels in San José
8:30 - Breakfast
- Stop for a traditional breakfast (Gallo Pinto, Tortillas, Eggs and Coffee)
- Continue your journey to Tenorio Volcano National Park passing the small town of Bijagua de Upala.
10:00 - Guided Tour of Tenorio Volcano National Park
- Enjoy a 3 km hike through the Tenorio Volcano National Park. Explore the diverse flora and fauna of the park.
- Our first stop will be the Rio Celeste Waterfalls.
- Continue the hike and enjoy a beautiful view from the highest point of the trail over 3 craters of the National Park- Tenorio 1, Tenorio 2 and Montezuma.
- Stop at the Blue Lagoon to take some pictures and the Borbollones (little geysers), before you finally arrive to the Teñideros. In this beautiful place the water of two streams are mixing and create a beautiful bright light blue color. This color is giving the name to River Celeste.
- From here you will be passing the fumaroles, which will remind you that you are walking on an inactive volcano.
- Approx 13:00 - Finish the tour and enjoy a typical Costa Rican lunch: Casado.
- Approx 14:00 - Depart to San José
18:00-19:00 - Drop off in San José
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
- Drop off in La Fortuna and Puerto Viejo can be booked for an extra cost
If you have any questions about our Rio Celeste Adventure Tour from San José, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Book Rio Celeste Adventure Tour from San José as a private tour, and customize the itinerary and locations for yourself, your family or a small group.