Pico Island Tour from Madalena Highlights
01Learn the history of wines and vineyards across the Azores
02See the stunning landscape of this UNESCO World Heritage Site on this small group tour
03Discover the history of whaling on these small but stunning islands
04Revel in the sweeping landscapes that cap every viewpoint of Pico
Why we chose this tourOur Pico Island Tour from Madalena, limited to an intimate 8 people, dives into the geological and commercial history of the island, covering everything from whaling to the Golden Age of Wine. Enjoy sweeping and cinematic views of lava fields and natural lakes, taste local wines renowned for their unique flavor, and discover the Azorean culture with an expert guide. This tour is available every Monday and Wednesday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- Hand-Crafted Insider Experiences
- Awesome Customer Service
- Best Price Guaranteed
- Easy CancelationSmall Group Size
Pico Island Tour from Madalena Itinerary
9:00 - Pickup from Madalena
- You will be picked up from centralized locations in Madalena.
Guided Tour of Pico Island
- Start the day with your expert local guide in Madalena, one of Pico's smaller coastal towns, and make your way to the vineyards of Criação Velha, where you'll see for yourself why the island's twisting and sweeping vineyards were named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Continue to Lajes, the first settlement built on the island and a coastal town known as the Azorean whaling capital and a center for wine production.
- This small village is not only beautiful, but atmospheric, and you'll discover the pivotal role it played in the history of the Azores as you stroll through its winding streets and take a guided tour of the whaling museum, the Museu dos Baleeiros.
- Enjoy lunch in a tradition local restaurant before driving across the vast and towering central plateau on your way to the northern coast to admire scenic views of São Jorge island from the viewpoint above Lajes do Pico and the Furna Santo António.
- After you've reached the peak, make your way to Lagoa do Capitão, widely known as one of the area's most gorgeous lakes where you can admire the serene views of this protected area.
- Part of the Zona Central, it's also a wonderful chance to see the endemic flora and fauna, including a number of migratory birds.
- As you drive back to Madalena, pass São Roque's former wine production centers where you can admire ancient adegas, or wine cellars, and other remnants from the island's Golden Age of Wine.
- Enjoy a tasting of the local, dry Lajido as you learn about traditional winemaking in the area and hear stories about the island's geology and formation.
17:00 - Drop off at Madalena
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Pico Island Tour from Madalena are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Pico Island Tour from Madalena, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Madalena
Fully guided tour
Lunch at a local restaurant
Entrance fees Museum
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Walking shoes & comfortable light clothes (Sweater & raincoat)
Water & snacks
Sunglasses & sunscreen
The minimum age required for the tour is 8 years old
If you have any food restrictions, please notify us when booking
Related Tours and Experiences
Insider Lisbon Cruise TourPortugal | 2 hours tour From $49 Per Person
Lisbon Sunset CruisePortugal | 2 hours tour From $52 Per Person
Porto & Douro Valley 5 Day Tour PackagePortugal | 5 days package From $275 Per Person
Salto do Prego – Sanguinho Hiking Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 8 hours tour From $68 Per Person
Kayaking in Vila Franca do Campo, São Miguel – AzoresPortugal | 3 hours tour From $50 Per Person
Ribeira da Salga Canyoning Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 5 hours tour From $105 Per Person
Whale and Dolphin Watching Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 3 hours tour From $75 Per Person
Lagoa do Fogo Hiking Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 7 hours tour From $65 Per Person
Furnas Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 8 hours tour From $99 Per Person
Lagoa do Fogo Jeep Tour from Ponta DelgadaPortugal | 4 hours tour From $60 Per Person