Mount Athos Tour and Cruise from Thessaloniki Highlights
1Visit the seaside port of Ouranoupoli, founded in the 4th century BCE
2Take a stunning cruise along the sparkling waters to Mount Athos
3Dip in the crystalline waters that surround this island
4Explore the gorgeous beaches that surround the monasteries
Why we chose this tourOur Mount Athos Tour and Cruise from Thessaloniki takes you along the rugged shoreline of this storied holy mountain island, with an archaeologist there to help you plunge the depths of history. You'll learn all about the 20 different monasteries that dot the towering mountain and have a chance to explore the untouched natural beauty of the islands nearby. This tour is available every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday with seasonal variations and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Mount Athos Tour and Cruise from Thessaloniki Itinerary
8:00-8:25 - Pickup from Thessaloniki
- Meet your guide at a centralized location in Thessaloniki. Please be there 10 minutes before departure.
Mount Athos Tour and Cruise
- Start your day of explorations with a ride to Ouranoupoli, winding through the craggy mountains and verdant forests that line the road along your way.
- When you arrive, stop at the Byzantine Tower of Prosforion, a 14th century tower that is a symbol of the city.
- Board your boat for a leisurely cruise around Mount Athos, viewing the many monasteries that dot this holy mountain.
- Mount Athos is an independent monastic state that's over 1,100 years old and does not allow women to set foot upon its grounds.
- Within the 20 monasteries are Russian, Serbian, and Bulgarian monasteries that add to the unique splendor of this ancient spiritual stronghold.
- As you glide along the waters of the Aegean Sea, you'll pass by the ports or tarsanades of Hilandar and Konstamonitou, the vibrant Monastery of Docheirariou with its blue detailing, and the newly renovated Monastery of Saint Panteleimon's, the Russian monastery.
- You'll also catch glimpses of Simonopetra and Hosios Grigorios, the island's main harbor of Daphne, Dionysios and Agios Pavlos scattered along the western coastline of Mount Athos, rich with reaching forests and rugged beauty.
- The cruise ends with a view of the skete of Agia Anna, perched at the foothills of the imposing mountain itself, rising 6,500 feet above the sea below.
- Every Tuesday, the tour visits Ammouliani Island, every Thursday, it stops at Alykes Beach, and every Sunday, you can swim at either Vourvourou, Drenia, or Ammouliani.
- Along the way, your archaeologist escort will explain the history of the area, the fascinating stories that surround this revered island, and the unique ancient makeup of this singular area.
18:30-18:50 - Drop off at Thessaloniki
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Mount Athos Tour and Cruise from Thessaloniki are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Mount Athos Tour and Cruise from Thessaloniki, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Thessaloniki
Ticket for the cruise
Historical information and storytelling during the trip
Basic travel insurance (during transportation)
Lunch & drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Comfortable & walking shoes
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Bathing suite & towel
Every Tuesday this tour visits the island of Ammouliani for a swim and lunch next to the port
Every Thursday this tour will visit the Alykes Beach on Ammouliani for lunch in a waterside tavern and a swim in the emerald waters
Every Sunday this tour visits Vourvourou and the beaches of Chalkidki instead of the monasteries
On Tuesday and Thursday, the cruise happens on a glass-bottom boat that heads to Daphne and then Ammouliani