Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal Pilgrimage Tour from Santander Highlights
01Walk the final section of the Camino Lebaniego
02Take part in a pilgrimage mass and visit the village of San Sebastian de Garabandal
03Visit Potes with an exclusive small group tour
04Taste delectable traditional cuisine from Liébana
Why we chose this tourOur Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal Pilgrimage Tour from Santander shows you the different sides of religion and mysticism in this mountainous area with a breathtaking backdrop of imposing natural beauty. Enjoy local cuisine and legends as you make your way around, and learn more about the many famous pilgrimage routes that pass through the churches and monasteries of the Picos de Europa range, trekking part of one for yourself! This tour is available every Tuesday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
- Small Group Size
Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal Pilgrimage Tour from Santander Itinerary
9:00 - 10:00 - Pickup from Santander & Torrelavega
- You will be picked up from centralized locations in Santander & Torrelavega. Please be at the pick up point 5 minutes before the time.
Pilgrimage Tour of Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal
- Head out of Santander for Potes, the capital of the Liébana region, taking an early morning drive across Hermida Gorge, the largest set of narrow gorges in the entire country.
- Take a short walking pilgrimage to the Monastery of Santo Toribio, soaking in the pastoral peace of the trail on this famous route to one of the Four Holy Places of Christianity, joining Santiago, Rome, and Jerusalem.
- This Franciscan monastery is home to the Lignum Crucis, a renowned relic that's rumored to be the largest piece of the cross that Christ was crucified on.
- For pilgrims walking the Lebaniego Way that you walked yourself, the monastery offers a respite and a magnificent display every Jublieum Year, the next of which will be 2023.
- It's also a key stop for Christians traveling the traditional route to Santiago de Compostela, and has been a site for healing since the Middle Ages.
- At noon, you'll attend the Mass of the Pilgrim and immediately after, head to the Chapel of San Miguel for stunning views of the nearby Picos de Europa mountain range.
- Continue to Potes for lunch to enjoy Cocido Lebaniego, a stew of meat and chickpeas that will refresh you completely, or let us know in advance if you'd prefer a different menu.
- Spend some time in the town on your own before driving to San Sebastian de Garabandal, a small mountain village where the Virgin Mary was reported to appear in the 1960's.
- If you like, you can explore the Sanctuary de Los Pinos, one of the Virgin's favorite places to appear, and take some time fore reflection in these stunning mountains before returning to your start point.
18:00-19:00 - Drop off at Santander & Torrelavega
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal Pilgrimage Tour from Santander are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Monastery of Santo Toribio & San Sebastián de Garabandal Pilgrimage Tour from Santander, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Santander & Torrelavega by minivan
Traditional lunch - Cocido lebaniego
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Walking shoes & comfortable clothes
Sunglasses & sunscreen
The tour is suitable for all ages
In case of bad weather conditions, the tour may be cancelled. In that case, we will try to change your travel date, or you will receive a refund.
The number of participants is limited to 8
Related Tours and Experiences
Gastronomy & Culture Private Tour in MadridSpain | 6 hour tour From $599 Per Group
Madrid Private Market TourSpain | 4 hour tour From $469 Per Group
Prado Museum Private Tour in MadridSpain | 3 hour tour From $289 Per Person
Madrid Off-the-Beaten Path & History Museum Private TourSpain | 4 hour tour From $309 Per Group
Madrid Royal Palace Private TourSpain | 3 hour tour From $289 Per Group
Private Madrid Insider TourSpain | 4 hour tour From $309 Per Group
Madrid Private Night Walking TourSpain | 4 hour tour From $309 Per Group
La Rioja Winery Tour from San SebastianSpain | 8 hour tour From $185 Per Person
French Basque Countryside and Sare Caves Tour from San SebastianSpain | 8 hour tour From $179 Per Person
Gernika, Mundaka, Urdaibai and Bermeo Tour from San SebastianSpain | 9 hour tour From $149 Per Person