Meteora’s Hermit Cave Half Day Hiking Tour Highlights
01Hike off the beaten path, literally, with this intermediate level trek
02Let the unparalleled views from the top of the Holy Spirit cliff take your breath away
03Discover the hidden hermitage of Saint George of Madilas, the same who slew the dragon
04Pause for a moment in the cave chapel dedicated to the Holy Spirit
05Shiver in the prison for monks that were expelled from the order
Why we chose this tourOur Meteora's Hermit Cave Half Day Hiking Tour is perfect if you're looking to head into the rugged terrain, away from Greece's gentle coastline. This half day hiking tour to the Meteora hermit caves offers you a chance to travel to another time and place while venturing away from the bustling cities and beaches. Delve into the caves and their chapels, gaze out over craggy hills that surround this storied monastic community. Revel in the solitude and quiet of this holy site before heading back to civilization.
Our Meteora’s Hermit Cave Half Day Hiking Tour is available every day February through October. Your journey begins in the scenic village of Kastraki before you make your way up the jagged paths to this isolated monastic community. Once you’ve reached the top, step into the wondrous cave chapel built by Varnavas, a hermit and monk that resided there in the 10th century and is said to be the founder of this fringe movement. Experience the wonder of this diamond in the rough as you tread the same paths as the ancient faithful did so many centuries ago.
After drinking in the sights, take some time to listen to the legends and stories your local guide has collected as they walk you all the way through the founding of this community to its present state. Experience the prison cells, where wayward monks were sent to think about what they’d done. Your tour will finish with a walk past the cave of Saint George, the venerated soldier saint and dragon-slayer.
This tour has guaranteed departures from Kastraki village.
- Small Group Size
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
Meteora’s Hermit Cave Half Day Hiking Tour Itinerary
15:00- 16:30 Meeting point in Kastraki Village.
- The meeting point is a centralized location in Kastraki Village. The meeting time depends on the travel date.
Guided tour of the Hermit Cave
- Enjoy a 3 hour hiking tour, lead by a local guide.
- You will discover Meteora by foot. You will visit the birthplace of the monastic community, the first hermit cave, which was inhabited by a hermit-monk named Varnavas.
- Wander in the footsteps of the hermit monks of Meteora and learn about their history.
- Enjoy breathtaking views during the hike.
18:00-19:30 Drop off in Kastraki Village
- The tour will finish at the central square of the Kastraki village.
If you have any questions about our Meteora’s Hermit Cave Half Day Hiking Tour, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Related Tours and Experiences
Mykonos Private Shore ExcursionGreece | 5 hour tour From $550 Per Group
Mykonos Small Group TourGreece | 4.5 hour tour From $105 Per Person
Mykonos Private Jeep TourGreece | 4 hour tour From $499 Per Group
Mykonos Private Guided TourGreece | 4.5 hour tour From $530 Per Group
Achilleion, Kanoni & Corfu Town Private TourGreece | 4 hour tour From $719 Per Group
Paleokastritsa Monastery, Kanoni & Corfu Town TourGreece | 4 hour tour From $689 Per Group
Santorini Wine Roads Sunset TourGreece | 4.5 hour tour From $179 Per Person
Craft Beer & Spirits Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 4 hour tour From $149 Per Person
Greek Food & Wine Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 4.5 hour tour From $199 Per Person
Santorini Insider TourGreece | 5 hour tour From $179 Per Person