Meteora Tour from Thessaloniki by Bus Highlights
1Step inside two of the six functional monasteries of Meteora
2Enjoy breathtaking views of this gorgeous UNESCO World Heritage Site
3Taste traditional treats at a taverna in Kastraki near Kalampaka
4Discover the history and secrets of Meteora from a local guide
Why we chose this tourOur Meteora Tour from Thessaloniki by Bus takes you to the magical mountains of Meteora to discover the natural beauty and spiritual serenity of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. You'll enter two of the still functional monasteries, lunch in a picturesque local village, and marvel at the panoramic views that stretch to the horizon. This tour is available every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Meteora Tour from Thessaloniki by Bus Itinerary
8:00-8:30 - Pickup from Thessaloniki
- You will be picked up from centralized locations in Thessaloniki. Please be 10 minutes before departure at the meeting point.
Tour of 2 Monasteries in Meteora
- Leave Thessaloniki behind with a scenic drive to the marvelous site of Meteora's hanging monasteries, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a completely unique experience you'll never forget.
- Once in Meteora, learn more about the enormous craggy rocks and winding paths that lead the way to these verdant slopes and storied monasteries perched on Pindos, the longest sierra in the country that's known as the Spine of Greece.
- You will visit two of the six monasteries below with an expert guide; please be sure to wear modest clothing that covers you to your elbows and knees, both men and women.
- The women's monastery of Saint Stefanos is famous for the impressive wood carvings of iconostasis as well as its panoramic views of Kalampaka, the raging river of Lithaios, and the sweeping plains below.
- The Monastery of the Holy Trinity that sits atop the steepest rock in all of Meteora and is only accessible by stairs cut into the mountain itself.
- The women's monastery of Rousanou, revered for the winding and heavily wooded path that leads to its doors and the intricate murals that cover its walls.
- The Varlaam Monastery that's decorated with frescoes of numerous icons painted by the famous Frangos Katelanos and a thirteen-ton wooden barrel.
- The Monastery of the Metamorphosis of Christ, which is the largest monastery in Meteora and breathtakingly beautiful.
- The Monastery of Saint Nicholas Anapafsas, covered with frescoes of icons painted by Theophanes the Cretan, and overlooks a hanging balcony near the towering rocks of this unique range.
- On Mondays, you will visit Varlaam and Rousanou, on Wednesday and Sunday you stop at Saint Stenaos and Varlaam, and Friday takes you to Rousanou and Saint Stefanos.
- No matter where you go, you'll be able to admire panoramic views of the incredible landscape below you and the monasteries that dot the mountains.
- Once home to 24 monasteries, only 6 are currently in operation in these centuries old spiritual centers.
- Finish the day with a traditional lunch and rest in Kastraki below the stunning scenes above you before returning to Thessaloniki.
18:30-18:50 - Drop off at Thessaloniki
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Meteora Tour from Thessaloniki by Bus are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Meteora Tour from Thessaloniki by Bus, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Thessaloniki
English-speaking, archaeologist tour-escort
Basic travel insurance (during transportation)
Historical information and storytelling during the trip
Lunch & drinks
Entrance fee 3€/person/monastery (2 monasteries in total)
Tour guide in the Monasteries
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Comfortable clothes & walking shoes
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Dresscode: sleeveless clothing and shorts over the knee for men are prohibited. For women, skirts below the knee are required in order to enter the monasteries
Related Tours and Experiences
Santorini Wine Roads Sunset TourGreece | 5 hours tour From $189 Per Person
Craft Beer & Spirits Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 4 hours tour From $119 Per Person
Greek Food & Wine Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 5 hours tour From $209 Per Person
Santorini Insider TourGreece | 5 hours tour From $189 Per Person
Santorini Cooking Class & Tasting ExperienceGreece | 5 hours tour From $215 Per Person
Nemea Winery & Vineyard Private Tour from AthensGreece | 10 hours tour From $229 Per Person
Nemea & Nafplio Wine and History Private Tour from AthensGreece | 10 hours tour From $179 Per Person
Evia Wine Private Tour & Spa ExperienceGreece | 7 hours tour From $195 Per Person
Athens Wine Lover’s Private Tour & Wine MuseumGreece | 6 hours tour From $169 Per Person
Mount Olympus Hiking Tour from ElassonaGreece | 10 hours package From $109 Per Person