Kerkini Lake Eco Tour from Thessaloniki Highlights
1Stop at Kerkini Lake National Park for an adventure into nature
2Enjoy views of the stunning Lithotopos Dam built in 1932
3See water buffalo, flamingos, wild birds, and other endemic animals
4Savor a traditional lunch in the picturesque village of Vironia
Why we chose this tourOur Kerkini Lake Eco Tour from Thessaloniki plunges you into the verdant and otherworldly landscape of Kerkini Lake National Park on a comprehensive tour through its incredible wetlands. Visit a local farm to learn about traditional agriculture, enjoy regional flavors, and admire the varied wildlife in this key nature preserve. This tour is available every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday with seasonal variations and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Kerkini Lake Eco Tour from Thessaloniki Itinerary
8:00-8:30 - Pickup from Thessaloniki
- You will be picked up from centralized locations in Thessaloniki. Please be at the pick up point 10 minutes before departure.
Tour of Kerkini Lake & Vironia Village
- Your day begins with a scenic drive through the rolling hills of inland Greece on your way to Lithotopos, home to the stunning manmade reservoir and National Park of Kerkini Lake.
- While every season comes with changes to the native populations, this area of wetlands is one of the most important natural habitats for birds in Europe, and a popular bird-watching destination.
- You can see everything from flamingoes and cormorants to water buffalo and local eels peacefully make their way through this fairytale beautiful landscape.
- Between the sparkling sapphire waters and the lush emerald landscapes that surround you, it will feel like you've traveled to a completely new world.
- If you'd like, you can add a horseback ride along the dam for a unique exploration of this incredible area that you're sure not to soon forget.
- Take a break for coffee and make your way to the eastern shores of the lake for a visit to a traditional farm that still uses water buffalo to work the land, and learn how they've used this traditional method throughout the years.
- Continue to the historic village of Vironia and enjoy lunch at a traditional taverna with a captivating history: it was used as a Greek military command center during the Second Balkan War.
- This is where King Constantine and the Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos signed a historical peace agreement that doubled the size of the country.
- After this final stop, you'll pass the lake again on your way back to Thessaloniki, enjoying views during the golden hour with a last look at this incredible area.
16:30 - Drop off at Thessaloniki
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Kerkini Lake Eco Tour from Thessaloniki are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Kerkini Lake Eco Tour from Thessaloniki, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Thessaloniki
Historical information and storytelling during the trip
Travel insurance (during transportation)
Lunch, drinks & coffee
Optional activities: Boat-ride 10€/person, 20 minute Horse-ride 5€/person
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Comfortable shoes & clothes
Sunglasses & sunscreen