Karla & Bhaja Caves Private Tour from Mumbai Highlights
01Marvel at wooden reinforcements and vaulted horseshoe ceiling that have stood throughout the centuries
02Step back 2,000 years when you discover these rock cut Buddhist caves that sit strategically along ancient trade routes between the Arabian Sea and Deccan Plateau
03Uncover magnificent monasteries that offered shelter to weary travelers with their intricate sculptures and soaring prayer halls
04See an ancient carving of a woman playing the Tabla, a classical and unique Hindustani musical instrument
Why we chose this tourOn our Karla & Bhaja Caves Tour from Mumbai our local guide will take you to sprawling complexes of Buddhist rock cut caves that are suspended high above the ground. Built centuries ago by monks along a key trade route in a rolling green valley, you won't want to miss seeing these architectural and artistic marvels. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-pick each tour and experience which we offer
- Led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
Karla & Bhaja Caves Private Tour from Mumbai Itinerary
7:30 am Pickup from Mumbai
- You'll be collected from central hotels in Mumbai.
Guided Tour of Karla & Bhaja Caves
- Leave Mumbai to arrive at the base of Karla Caves and climb to the top, where you'll explore these incredible structures that were built between the 2nd and 5th centuries CE under the patronage of the era's most influential kingdoms.
- Formerly a key center for Buddhism in western India, you'll explore 16 different Buddhist caves and their splendid sculptures, including the first caves that were built by the Theravadas and others that were added by the Mahayana sect later on.
- The highlights of your day will be the prayer hall, one of India's largest rock cut structures that was build to pay homage to Stupa, and a cave that still retains the original wooden ribs that have reinforced the ceiling for more than 2 millennia.
- After lunch, you'll head to another set of important Buddhist caves suspended in the air by exquisitely carved steps that float 120 meters in the air above the ancient village of Bhaja that dates from the 2nd century CE.
- These 22 caves include 10 viharas, or residential cells for the monks, while the other 12 are chaityas, or prayer halls, including the 12th cave that showcases timeless wooden architecture, a vaulted horseshoe ceiling, and a pillar depicting Buddha in a number of different forms, including as an elephant and a Bodhi tree.
- There is also a carving that changed the understanding of how long the Tabla, a classical Hindustani musical instrument, has actually been around with its ancient depiction of a woman playing a Tabla.
19:30 - Drop off in Mumbai
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Karla & Bhaja Caves Private Tour from Mumbai are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Karla & Bhaja Caves Private Tour from Mumbai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from Mumbai
Fully guided tour
Lunch and drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Related Tours and Experiences
Old Delhi Night Food WalkIndia | 5 hour tour From $79 Per Person
Breakfast Trail in Old DelhiIndia | 5 hour tour From $69 Per Person
3 Day Wildlife and Culture Private Tour of Thekkady from KochiIndia | 3 days package From $399 Per Person
Sultans Legacy & Wildlife of Bidar 2 Day Private Tour from HyderabadIndia | 2 days package From $335 Per Person
2 Day Yoga and Spirituality Private Tour in Rishikesh from New DelhiIndia | 2 days package From $375 Per Person
Taj Mahal & Wonders of Agra Tour from New DelhiIndia | 12 hour tour From $190 Per Person
Insider Hyderabad Private City TourIndia | 8 hour tour From $109 Per Person
Cooking Experience in KochiIndia | 4 hour tour From $120 Per Person
Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from MumbaiIndia | 6 days package From $1,179 Per Person
Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Private Tour from MumbaiIndia | 8 hour tour From $129 Per Person