1Marvel at wooden reinforcements and vaulted horseshoe ceiling that have stood throughout the centuries
2Step back 2,000 years when you discover these rock cut Buddhist caves that sit strategically along ancient trade routes between the Arabian Sea and Deccan Plateau
3Uncover magnificent monasteries that offered shelter to weary travelers with their intricate sculptures and soaring prayer halls
4See an ancient carving of a woman playing the Tabla, a classical and unique Hindustani musical instrument
Why we chose this tourOn our Karla & Bhaja Caves Tour from Mumbai our local guide will take you to sprawling complexes of Buddhist rock cut caves that are suspended high above the ground. Built centuries ago by monks along a key trade route in a rolling green valley, you won't want to miss seeing these architectural and artistic marvels. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Itinerary - Karla & Bhaja Caves Tour from Mumbai
7:30 am Pickup from Mumbai
- You'll be collected from central hotels in Mumbai.
Guided Tour of Karla & Bhaja Caves
- Leave Mumbai to arrive at the base of Karla Caves and climb to the top, where you'll explore these incredible structures that were built between the 2nd and 5th centuries CE under the patronage of the era's most influential kingdoms.
- Formerly a key center for Buddhism in western India, you'll explore 16 different Buddhist caves and their splendid sculptures, including the first caves that were built by the Theravadas and others that were added by the Mahayana sect later on.
- The highlights of your day will be the prayer hall, one of India's largest rock cut structures that was build to pay homage to Stupa, and a cave that still retains the original wooden ribs that have reinforced the ceiling for more than 2 millennia.
- After lunch, you'll head to another set of important Buddhist caves suspended in the air by exquisitely carved steps that float 120 meters in the air above the ancient village of Bhaja that dates from the 2nd century CE.
- These 22 caves include 10 viharas, or residential cells for the monks, while the other 12 are chaityas, or prayer halls, including the 12th cave that showcases timeless wooden architecture, a vaulted horseshoe ceiling, and a pillar depicting Buddha in a number of different forms, including as an elephant and a Bodhi tree.
- There is also a carving that changed the understanding of how long the Tabla, a classical Hindustani musical instrument, has actually been around with its ancient depiction of a woman playing a Tabla.
19:30 - Drop off in Mumbai
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
If you have any questions about our Karla & Bhaja Caves Tour from Mumbai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Book Karla & Bhaja Caves Tour from Mumbai as a private tour, and customize the itinerary and locations for yourself, your family or a small group.