Higashiyama Walking Tour From Takayama Highlights
1Join your local guide for a tour of the tranquil Higashiyama Walking Course
2Visit 5 different temples from various sects throughout this historic district
3Stop at the grave of Tesshu Yamaoka’s parents - one of Japanss last Samurai
4Learn more about Japanese tradition and spirituality from a local expert
Why we chose this tourOur Higashiyama Walking Tour From Takayama takes you on a serene stroll through this peaceful wooded area nestled in the foothills near a vast number of ancient temples; the perfect way to spend a day decompressing. Your local guide will offer you an insider's view of the rich history and fascinating culture of Takayama as you take in the scenic views around you and the beautiful temples along the way. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Higashiyama Walking Tour From Takayama Itinerary
9:00 or 13:00 - Meeting point in Takayama
- Meet your guide at a centralized location in Takayama.
Guided tour of the Higashiyama Walking Course
- Your day will be spent on the winding Higashiyama Walking Course, an easy trail that wends its way through the towering pines and tranquil forests around this storied area, once home to the Takayama Castle.
- Your first temple of the day is the Daiou-ji Temple of the Jodo sect with its magnificent bell tower, active monastery, and stunning views of the scenic nature below.
- The second stop is Sogenji Temple, the Prairie Temple, that was converted from private use into a public monument and active place of worship for the Soto sect.
- The Tenshoji Temple, the former Heavenly Temple of the now defunct Tendai sect that was reconsecrated for the Jodo sect and surrounded by lush gardens.
- The Hokke-ji Temple of the Nichiren sect houses a smiling Buddha with healing powers: it's believed that if you wash the same part of the Buddha as whatever body part is giving you trouble, your aches and pains will be healed!
- The Soyuji Temple is the last temple of the day, and perhaps the most impressive with its towering walls built from the Takayama Castle and its active monastery of the Rinzai sect.
10:00 or 14:00 - Drop off in Takayama
- The tour ends at Soyuji Temple in central Takayama.
NB - all timings on Higashiyama Walking Tour From Takayama are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Higashiyama Walking Tour From Takayama, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Availability and Pricing
Fully guided tour with an English speaking Tour guide
Lunch and drinks
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
This tour is not wheelchair accessible