Great Living Chola Temples 2 Day Private Tour from Chennai Highlights
01Visit 3 world heritage monuments, each a capital of the Chola empire, a mighty, ancient maritime power that controlled huge amounts of territory from the 10th through the 12th centuries
02Uncover treasure troves of art, culture, and architecture at Thanjavur's Big Temple and Darasuram, where you'll learn all about the ancient history and culture of this area
03Explore the colorful frescoes that depict Lord Shiva at the 1,000 year old Brihadeswar Tample in Tanjore
04Rediscover the lost city of Gangaikondacholapuram and its royal palace, gigantic Nandi, and statuesque lion that guards a well
Why we chose this tourOur 2 Days Tour of Great Living Chola Temples from Chennai is a intimate and informative tour, led by an expert local guide to ensure that your experience is as smooth and breathtaking as possible. You'll visit awesome palaces, towering temples, and see ancient art and sculptures. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist Journey
- We hand-craft each tour package which we offer
- Each tour and experience is led by a true local expert full of passion
- Hassle-free experience promise. We take care of everything so you just have to enjoy
- Choose the hotels you stay at from our curated selection
- Great memories and the best stories guaranteed
- Easy booking, easy cancelation and best price guaranteed
Great Living Chola Temples 2 Day Private Tour from Chennai Itinerary
Day 1 - Thanjavur the first capital of the Ancient Chola Empire
- After meeting with your guide, you'll take a scenic drive to Tanjore, the first capital of the Chola empire, one of the longest-ruling dynasties in the world, to see Brihadeeswara Temple.
- Also known as Thanjavur Big Temple, this is one of India's greatest architectural creations and shows off bronze castings, advanced paintings, reaching architecture, and stunning sculptures in the vast grounds that have stood for over 1,000 years.
- Stroll through the Queen's courtyard at the Grand Palace of Tanjore, originally built under Nayak rule and restored by the Marathas, before heading to the Saraswati Mahal Library, admiring the scenery painted along the walls of Durbar hall, search for hidden underground passages, and wander the Royal Gallery and Museum.
- Overnight stay in Thanjavur.
Day 2 - Temple of Airateswar in Darasuram & Gangaikondacholapuram
- Your second day begins in Darasuram, home to the Airavateswar Temple that's dedicated to Lord Shiva and was built in the 12th century CE.
- This UNESCO World Heritage site doesn't just exhibit awe-inspiring architecture, it's also a treasure trove of art and carvings, and it's named after Airavat, the white elephant of Lord Indra who often worshiped at the temple.
- The final destination in your marvelous tour is Gangaikonda Cholapuram, built in 1025 by Rajendra Chola, son of Raja Raja, to commemorate a mighty victory over the Pala Empire that lived across the grand Ganges.
- This stunning site was the capital of the Chola empire for 250 years, and is famous for its Shiva Temple, the Royal Palace that's built of burnt bricks, a giant Nandi, and a magnificent lion that guards an ancient well.
- You'll then be taken by private transport back to Chennai.
- Drop off at hotel in Chennai.
NB - all timings on Great Living Chola Temples 2 Day Private Tour from Chennai are approximate
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Great Living Chola Temples 2 Day Private Tour from Chennai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Transportation to and from
Fully guided tour
All entrance fees
1 night accommodation including breakfast
Lunch and Dinner
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
3* Hotel - Ideal River View or similar
4* Hotel - Svatma Hotel or similar
NB: All hotels are subject to availability and can change to a hotel with the same standards
Related Tours and Experiences
Old Delhi Night Food WalkIndia | 5 hour tour From $79 Per Person
Breakfast Trail in Old DelhiIndia | 5 hour tour From $69 Per Person
3 Day Wildlife and Culture Private Tour of Thekkady from KochiIndia | 3 days package From $399 Per Person
Sultans Legacy & Wildlife of Bidar 2 Day Private Tour from HyderabadIndia | 2 days package From $335 Per Person
2 Day Yoga and Spirituality Private Tour in Rishikesh from New DelhiIndia | 2 days package From $375 Per Person
Taj Mahal & Wonders of Agra Tour from New DelhiIndia | 12 hour tour From $190 Per Person
Insider Hyderabad Private City TourIndia | 8 hour tour From $109 Per Person
Cooking Experience in KochiIndia | 4 hour tour From $120 Per Person
Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from MumbaiIndia | 6 days package From $1,179 Per Person
Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Private Tour from MumbaiIndia | 8 hour tour From $129 Per Person