1This walk highlights some of the most majestic monuments built under British rule, and showcases the marriage of British and Indian architectural elements
2See the country's first British fortress, built by the East India Trading Company in 1644, and the country's oldest Anglican church
3Marvel at the Senate Building at Madras University, a harmonious blend of Byzantine and Indo-Saracenic styles
4Visit the Southern Railway headquarters, one of the first buildings with reinforced concrete in India, and the Chennai Central Railway Station, the best specimen of Gothic Revival in the whole city
Why we chose this tourOur Gems of British Architecture Walking Tour in Chennai is a spectacular stroll that showcases the best that colonial architecture has to offer in the famous film center of Chennai. Your guide will tell you stories of the men who built these marvels, and show you all the hidden gems that lay across this fascinating city. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Itinerary - Gems of British Architecture Walking Tour in Chennai
8:00 AM Pickup from Chennai
- You will be picked up from your hotel in Chennai
British Architecture Tour in Chennai
- Start your explorations at the Central Railway Station, which was built in 1873 and still has over 35,000 passengers daily, a splendid example of Gothic Revival architecture.
- Carry on with a stop at the Ripon Building, named after a Governor-General who is often credited with founding self-governing in Chennai and today the Mayor's office, before you go to another railway masterpiece: the headquarters of Southern-Railways in India, completed in 1921 in the sumptuous Indo-Saracenic style and one of the first buildings in India to utilize reinforced concrete.
- The Victory War Memorial, also known as the Cupid's Bow which stands in honor of the Allied victory in WWI and those who lost their lives in WWII, is your next stop before the historic Fort Saint George.
- This was the East India Company's first fortress in the country, built in 1644, and home to the oldest Anglican church in India, Saint Mary's Church, as well as Napier Bridge, which connects the fort to the marina, and was revamped and opened to the public in 1943 and is now often used a symbol to represent the city of Chennai!
- Wander the waterfront to the University of Madras and the Senate House's beautiful blend of Indo-Saracenic and Byzantine architectural styles that houses a convocation hall, porticoes, meeting halls, a library, and a parapet, before your morning of wonders is over.
Drop off in Chennai
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
If you have any questions about our Gems of British Architecture Walking Tour in Chennai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Book Gems of British Architecture Walking Tour in Chennai as a private tour, and customize the itinerary and locations for yourself, your family or a small group.