Byzantine Walking Tour in Thessaloniki Highlights
1Explore the city on a intimate tour with an expert archaeologist
2Marvel at the emblematic Trigoniou Tower and Rotunda
3See the churches of Hagia Sophia and Hosios David
4Visit the Rotunda, one of Thessaloniki's oldest religious sites
Why we chose this tourOur Byzantine Walking Tour in Thessaloniki takes you into the captivating past of Byzantine Thessaloniki on a winding walk through this historic city. See religious monuments and historic churches, marvelous mosaics and intricate murals with the guidance of a local expert archaeologist. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Small Group Size
Byzantine Walking Tour in Thessaloniki Itinerary
9:00 - Pickup from Thessaloniki
- Meet your guide at a centralized location in the Upper Town of Thessaloniki. Please be there 10 minutes before departure.
Guided Tour of Byzantine Thessaloniki
- Meet your guide at the famous Tower of Trigoniou, one of the city's most recognizable and part of the enormous walls that make up Ano Poli or the Balcony of Thessaloniki.
- Make your firsts top at the Old Monastery of Vlatadon, a singular Byzantine monastery that still operates to this day and showcases a panoramic view of The Bride of Thermaikos Gulf.
- Wind your way through the twisting alleyways of Ano Poli, the Upper town, as you head towards the Church of Hosios David to admire the remarkable murals and 5th century mosaic that adorns its walls.
- Stop next at the Church of Saint Nicholas Orphanos, another church renowned for its exceptional 14th century murals and surrounded on all sides by architecture that details the complex and captivating history of this city.
- In the heart of the city center, visit the Rotunda, one of the city's oldest and most important religious monuments that was erect in 300 ACE.
- Built by Galerius, it is still to this day known as the home of the most ancient and exquisite mosaics in the whole of the Middle-East.
- Your last stop of the day is the Church of Saint Sophia, a grand construction that was the metropolitan city church and boasting murals from the 5th and 9th century that depicts the days of early Christianity.
- End the day having visited innumerable UNESCO World Heritage sites and having plumbed the depths of this city's unique cultural heritage and history.
13:30 - Drop off at Thessaloniki
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
NB - all timings on Byzantine Walking Tour in Thessaloniki are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Byzantine Walking Tour in Thessaloniki, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Full walking tour in byzantine landmarks
Entrance fee 6€/person to Rotunda (3€/person from 01/11 to 31/03 each year)
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Walking shoes & comfortable clothes
Sunglasses & sunscreen
Related Tours and Experiences
Santorini Wine Roads Sunset TourGreece | 5 hours tour From $189 Per Person
Craft Beer & Spirits Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 4 hours tour From $119 Per Person
Greek Food & Wine Tasting Tour in SantoriniGreece | 5 hours tour From $209 Per Person
Santorini Insider TourGreece | 5 hours tour From $189 Per Person
Santorini Cooking Class & Tasting ExperienceGreece | 5 hours tour From $215 Per Person
Nemea Winery & Vineyard Private Tour from AthensGreece | 10 hours tour From $229 Per Person
Nemea & Nafplio Wine and History Private Tour from AthensGreece | 10 hours tour From $179 Per Person
Evia Wine Private Tour & Spa ExperienceGreece | 7 hours tour From $195 Per Person
Athens Wine Lover’s Private Tour & Wine MuseumGreece | 6 hours tour From $169 Per Person
Mount Olympus Hiking Tour from ElassonaGreece | 10 hours package From $109 Per Person