1Explore the caves perched on a hilltop in a verdant and wild forest that served as a Buddhist university and key learning center from the 1st century BCE to the 10th century CE
2Learn about the students who traveled far and wide across Asia to come learn from the masters at this campus
3Marvel at the unique architecture, stunning sculptures, and advanced engineering that make Kanheri so timeless
4Enjoy a traditional Indian lunch, similar to what the students would have eaten centuries ago
Why we chose this tourOur Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Tour from Mumbai explores an ancient Buddhist university and formerly famous center for learning that lives in a number of rock cut caves that float high in the air. Learn more about the religions that help make this region so unique, and explore the gorgeous artwork and building techniques that make Kanheri such an impressive site. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Itinerary - Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Tour from Mumbai
8:30 AM Pickup from Mumbai Hotels
- You'll be collected from central Mumbai hotels or cruise terminals by private transportation.
Guided Tour of The Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri
- You'll be picked up from central locations in Mumbai and taken to Sanjay Gandhi National Park which houses the Kanheri Caves within its 87 square kilometer park, as well as a dazzling array of wildlife and natural splendor.
- The Kanheri Caves are filled with stunning sculptures, bas relief carvings, ancient carvings, and intricate inscriptions that tell us more about how this historic seat of Buddhist learning operated, and what the students learned.
- Visit the grand Chatiya, or pray hall, where the monks used to meditate, as well as the mounded Stupas that housed relics from past teachers, and the sculptures of Buddha and Boddhivistas that decorate the 109 caves.
- See the transformation from the Theravada to Mahayana style of Buddhism as time passed, learning from your guide the principles of different Buddhist sects, and about other religions common in the region, like Jainism and Hinduism.
- This learning center and ancient university was strategically placed on an ancient trade route; learn how different merchants and travelers found housing here and helped keep the university running before driving back through the lush landscape filled with wildlife to return to Mumbai's urban chaos.
16:30 - Drop off in Mumbai
- You will be dropped off at the same location you were picked up from.
If you have any questions about our Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Tour from Mumbai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Book Ancient Buddhist University of Kanheri Tour from Mumbai as a private tour, and customize the itinerary and locations for yourself, your family or a small group.