Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from Mumbai Highlights
1Visit the first designated UNESCO World Heritage Site in India when you travel to the sites of Ajanta and Ellora caves with their stunning sculptures and paintings
2Learn why Bibi ka Maqbara is called the Taj Mahal of Deccan when you see the ancient tomb built in the 1600's
3Visit Lonar with its lake that sits in a crater created by a meteorite crash and its Chalyuka style temple of Kajuraho
4Unwind after your explorations with a wine tasting in Nashik, home to India's burgeoning wine scene
Why we chose this tourOur 6 Day Tour of Ajanta Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery from Mumbai takes you deep into the heart of the countryside, stopping at ancient temples and tombs as well as modern wineries and mysterious crater lakes. You'll discover a completely new and multi-faceted side of India that most tourists usually miss, and leave with a wealth of knowledge. This tour is available every day and leaves with guaranteed departures.
Book With Tourist JourneyHand-Crafted Insider Experiences
Awesome Customer Service
Best Price Guaranteed
Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from Mumbai Itinerary
Day 1 - Aurangabad, Ellora Caves
- Ellora Caves, the finest in rock cut sculptures After lunch in Aurangabad, we take a short drive from Aurangabad to reach Ellora Caves, one of the finest specimens of rock cut architecture in India. Built between 5th and 10th century, Ellora Caves are a set of 34 caves excavated out of the Charanandri hills. The caves are a mix of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain styles. The highlight of Ellora is the Kailasa Temple. Built to resemble Mount Kailash, the heavenly abode of Lord Shiva, it is the largest single monolithic excavation in the world. Built in the 8th century, Kaliasa is twice the size of Parthenon and was built 7,000 laborers over 150 years.
- Overnight in Aurangabad
Day 2 - Bibi ka Maqbara, The Taj Mahal of Deccan
- Bibi ka Maqbara, the Taj Mahal of Deccan We visit Bibi ka Maqbara built by Mughal Emperor in memory of his wife, very much like what his father Shah Jahan did with Taj Mahal! Bibi ka Maqbara is often called the Taj Mahal of the Deccan. Ata Ullah the architect of Bibi ka Maqbara was in fact the son of the chief designer of the Taj Mahal!
- Daulatabad Fort This magnificent fort is steeped in history. In the 14th century, Muhammad Bin Tughlaq, the Sultan of Delhi and the most eccentric King in Indian history, shifted his capital from Delhi to Daulatabad, with disastrous consequences. There are remains of Palaces & Mosques to be seen on the top
- Overnight in hotel in Aurangabad (Breakfast included).
Day 3 - Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar tour
- Today you'll spend your morning traveling to Lonar, where you'll try to unravel some of the most enigmatic mysteries that surround this lake on the following day.
- Spend the evening hours in the village where you'll visit Daitya Sudan, a temple built in the singular Chalukya style and filled with erotic sculptures that are dedicated to one of Lord Vishnu's incarnations.
- Head back to the hotel to rest after your journey and to re energize for the busy day ahead!
- Overnight in hotel in Lonar (Breakfast included).
Day 4 - Lonar Lake
- Spend your day at the ethereal Lonar Lake, which was formed over 50,000 years ago when a 2 million ton meteor crashed into the surrounding basalt, leaving an impact site almost 2 kilometers wide and 150 meters deep.
- Along your journey there, you'll see a number of local birds and ancient temples while your guide introduces you to some of the mysteries that make this site so enigmatic, like how the lake is both alkaline and saline and why compasses won't work in the area.
- Once you arrive, your guide will perform a few simple scientific experiments to demonstrate the site's singularity and explain more about the microorganisms that only live in this area.
- Move on to the Ajanta Caves, a set of 30 rock cut Buddhist caves covered in unique rock paintings and whose cultural influence can be seen as far away as Java in modern Indonesia.
- Set in a breathtaking cliffside location above a u-shaped gorge where the Waghora River flows, the paintings mostly center around the Jataka Tales, or the story of Buddha's life before enlightenment, and the more than 500 stories were done on mud plaster with tempera paint.
- You'll spend the night in Ajanta itself before you head off to Indian wine country in the morning!
- Overnight in hotel in Ajanta (Breakfast included).
Day 5 - Nashik Tour
- India has recently burst onto the international wine scene, and the wine capital of India is in this verdant region covered in up and coming vineyards.
- You'll spend the day strolling through the vineyards, tasting an array of wines from crisp and sparkling glasses to full-bodied reds; this is a unique experience that you're sure to remember.
- Overnight in hotel in Nashik (Breakfast included).
Day 6 - Return to Mumbai
- After breakfast, you'll check out of your hotel in Nashik and return to Mumbai, where you'll be dropped off at centralized locations (Breakfast included).
NB - all timings on Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from Mumbai are approximate
Ask a Question
Have a question?
If you have any questions about our Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar Meteor Mystery 6 Day Private Tour from Mumbai, please contact us. Our team is standing by and will be happy to help
Availability and Pricing
Transportation to and from Mumbai
Fully guided tour
5 Nights accommodation including breakfasts
All entrance fees
Lunch and dinners
Personal travel insurance
What to Bring
Aurangabad - Vivanta hotel or similar
Lonar - MTDC hotel or similar
Ajanta - MTDC hotel or similar
Nashik- Beyond by Sula hotel or similar
NB: All hotels are subject to availability and can change to a hotel with the same standards